Pharmacy/antidepressants and Naisds

Question
The British medical Journal published an article (July 14th 2015 ) stating that taking both anti depressant and over the counter pain meds such as Advil,aspirin, Aleve etc increased risk of cranial bleed (stroke) in ALL ages.  The increased risk for stroke and possible death was  said to be in the first 30 days of taking both a anti depressant and over the counter non steroid pain reliever.  Recently broke a tooth (no pain)but needed dental work (temp crown) and now tooth ache pain is awful.  Dentist said take Advil not Tylenol as Advil will reduce inflammation and hence the pain. Unfortunately, when I went on the Internet  to check to make certain there was no recall of the Advil I had sitting in my pantry, never used , I came across this very recent news report. I went to the British medical Journel on the Internet which has open access to the public and the article confirmed the reports.  I am not certain I am reading it correctly. I mean haven't people on anti depressants needed Advil or Aspirin etc on some occasion.  How high a dose of each med would cause an increased risk of stroke and death?  I am not a medical professional and now scared to take Advil but in pain.  Any clarification of what this all means to the public would be appreciated.

Answer
Hi Merianna,
I read a summary of this study as well. It is a Korean study which as you stated points to an increased risk of intracraneal bleed if one takes antidepressants and medications such as Advil. It is worisom. If you have to have this combination, I would take the Advil for no longe than 2 or 3 days to  minimize the risk. Pain is no fun to live with.
Thank you for using Allexpets.
Sincerely,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Pharmacy

Eric Brandt