Pharmacy/pristiq/deptran/tramadol interaction?

Question
Hi, I am currently on 300 mgs of Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)taken in the morning, plus 50-100 mgs of an older anti-depressant, Deptran (doxepin hydrochloride)at night.

I was under the impression that mixing these drugs with the painkiller tramadol was an absolute no-no. But the other day I had a shocking migraine and ended up taking 100 mgs of tramadol out of desperation, and I was fine and felt much better (I already had the tramadol at home from my pre-anti-depressant days, but had not bothered to chuck it out: it was not out of date or anything).

I'm interested in this because soon I am having a major surgery which I have been told will cause moderate to severe pain for some weeks. I have already told the hospital I should not have tramadol, but if it's actually okay for me to have it in moderate doses I would rather have tramadol than things like oxycontin etc, since in my experience tramadol doesn't cause physical dependence or make me tired.

Given what I have told you, do you think tramadol in moderation might be okay after all?

Answer

If you are going to have major surgery soon, you must check with your physician ALL medications you will be taking before, during, and after the surgery, including tramadol.  I am sorry, but I am not in a position to give you the okay to take tramadol in moderation post surgery.  Surgery often does cause moderate to severe pain.  Tramadol may not be an effective pain reliever post surgery and the MD may prescribe something stronger or non oral (ie intravenous morphine).  Although you stated tramadol does not cause physical dependence or make you tired, it may in the future, similar to any other prescription pain killer.  

In terms of taking pristiq with doxepin with tramadol, as long as your MD says it is okay you can take these three together.  Yes, they do interact with one another.  

Hope this helps!

nanaz  

Pharmacy

Nanaz Khosrowshahi