QUESTION: Dear sir

due uncontrolled bp I have been prescribed spironolactone 50 mg with fursemide 20 mg. Bp is now under control but my query is whether this diuretic damage kidney or significantly increase creatinine ?

ANSWER: HI Harsvadan,
The monographs for these two drugs report potential kidney damage. Howeve in real practice it is rarely seen as a result of their use.
Thank you for using Allexperts.
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Many thanx for quick and clear response. I would like to ask gurther whrther torsemide and furosemide are similar and whether side effect and efficacy is similar and lastly whether interchangeable.i am seeking guidance.

Hi Harsvadan,
Furosemide and Torsemide are similar. Furosemide 40 mg is equivalent to Torsemide 10-20 mg. They have similar side effects, different drug interactions. Torsemide may be less harmful to the kidneys.
Thank you for using Allexpets.
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Eric Brandt

I am a practicing pharmacist.On my drug information website, I have answered hundreds of questions to date. The articles posted on my site include Parkinson`s disease. depression, menopause, diabetes, sleep and aging, congestive heart failure, calcium channel blockers, thyroid hormone replacement therapy, ADHD, multiple sclerosis an more.

I have experience in retail as well as hospital pharmacy pracice. Currently working in a hospital pharmacy. I am experienced in drug information. Over the last 6 years I have developed a successful web site for drug information.

The addressfor my drug information website is http://www.druginformation.bc.caThere you can read articles on varios areas of health interest. You can also leave me questions which I will personally answer. I also have a free health information newsletter called The Caplet. To subscribe send e-mail to