Pharmacy/Why are diuretics used for ascites?

Can you please explain why diuretics like spironolactone are used to treat the ascites that results from alcohol abuse? Wouldn't that fluid be something other than water? My hubby is showing signs of ascites, but is afraid to go to the doctor, and right now we cant offord prescription meds. Also, why could he not just use OTC Diurex? Thanks!

Hi Bab,
Self diagnosis is dangerous.. See a doctor. You need to find the reason for the ascitis if that is the case. Diurex is intended for managing fluid retention associated with menstrual cycle. It is used fo 4-5 days at a time. Spiroolactone is an inexpensive prescription proven to be effective in ridding of fluid associated with ascitis. It preserves potassium which is often lost with other diuretics.
Thank you fo using Allexperts.
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Eric Brandt

I am a practicing pharmacist.On my drug information website, I have answered hundreds of questions to date. The articles posted on my site include Parkinson`s disease. depression, menopause, diabetes, sleep and aging, congestive heart failure, calcium channel blockers, thyroid hormone replacement therapy, ADHD, multiple sclerosis an more.

I have experience in retail as well as hospital pharmacy pracice. Currently working in a hospital pharmacy. I am experienced in drug information. Over the last 6 years I have developed a successful web site for drug information.

The addressfor my drug information website is http://www.druginformation.bc.caThere you can read articles on varios areas of health interest. You can also leave me questions which I will personally answer. I also have a free health information newsletter called The Caplet. To subscribe send e-mail to