Pharmacy/Why are diuretics used for ascites?

Question
Eric
Can you please explain why diuretics like spironolactone are used to treat the ascites that results from alcohol abuse? Wouldn't that fluid be something other than water? My hubby is showing signs of ascites, but is afraid to go to the doctor, and right now we cant offord prescription meds. Also, why could he not just use OTC Diurex? Thanks!

Answer
Hi Bab,
Self diagnosis is dangerous.. See a doctor. You need to find the reason for the ascitis if that is the case. Diurex is intended for managing fluid retention associated with menstrual cycle. It is used fo 4-5 days at a time. Spiroolactone is an inexpensive prescription proven to be effective in ridding of fluid associated with ascitis. It preserves potassium which is often lost with other diuretics.
Thank you fo using Allexperts.
Sincerely,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Pharmacy

Eric Brandt