Pharmacy/Food with magnesium citrate

QUESTION: I've taken calcium/magnesium supplements for many years, but have recently learned that the magnesium oxide I was taking is very poorly absorbed--so I decided to switch to magnesium citrate. I purchased separate calcium tablets and magnesium citrate capsules. I made the mistake however of taking too much magnesium at once, with disastrous results that you can imagine. So I temporarily returned to my calcium/magnesium supplement.

My calcium tablets (just calcium carbonate) have 50 mg per tablet and my magnesium citrate capsules have 50 mg per *three* capsules--so my plan would be to take each day the calcium with 2 meals and the magnesium with 3 meals.

My daily routine is to take a very small breakfast--coffee and a tiny pastry. I don't want to repeat my previous bad results. My question is:

Is the small amount of food I take for breakfast sufficient to support the 17.7 mg of calcium citrate?

I'm a bit confused by your question.  Calcium carbonate is best taken with food.  Calcium citrate can be taken with food or on an empty stomach.  I prefer you take the calcium with water but your breakfast should be sufficient.

QUESTION: Please re-read my original question, which is about magnesium citrate, not calcium. I look forward to your revised answer.

Magnesium citrate is best taken with food.   I'm not sure if that answers your question.  Take with full glass of water

Hello again,

If you noticed at the end of your first email, you asked if the coffee and tiny pastry is enough to support calcium citrate.  That is why in my original answer I noted the calcium citrate.  I did not think I misread the question.  

Nanaz Khosrowshahi

Being a pharmacist, I can answer questions on medications. This includes how drugs work in the body, drug interactions, drug side effects, warnings and precautions to take when using certain medications, dosage forms and strengths, management of overdosing, storage of medications, drug administration, contraindications, and drug indications. I am able to guide them on lab work that needs to be drawn and monitored while on certain medications. I am able to help patients save money when purchasing medications by directing them to cost-effective therapies. I am able to answer questions on federal laws governing pharmacy practice in the United States. I am unable to answer questions legally as if I am diagnosing the patient's disease or illness. For example, if a patient stated he had upper flank pain, I am unable to say he definitely has a urinary tract infection. However, I am able to direct the patient to the correct next step, which is to call his physician with such a side effect.

I have been a licensed pharmacist since 2007, holding licenses in CT and MA. I have a PHARM.D from an accelerated pharmacy school program. Currently, I work at the Hebrew Home and Hospital in West Hartford, CT as a pharmacist. I am a well-rounded pharmacist, with experience in long-term care, IV home infusion, retail, hospital, and hospice. I serve as the pharmacy unit coordinator for Mass Dispensing Area #31 in CT, where I am called upon as a volunteer pharmacist in case of public emergencies, such as anthrax threats. I helped run the swine flu vaccine clinic in 2009. I am on the Editorial Advisory Board for Pharmacy Today, a publication of the American Pharmacists Association. My position on the board runs for three years. Every month I make suggestions and offer ideas that would help improve the magazine. I have undergone extra training to administer vaccines to patients, which is training that only a certain percentage of registered pharmacists in the country have.

American Pharmacists Association 2007

Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Worcester, MA- PHARM.D 2007 University of California, Irvine- BA psychology 2001 cum laude