I have all the symptoms of metabolic syndrome or insulin resistance. I am 59. My weight keeps creeping up in spite of eating less and exercising more. I do all the right dietary stuff but it doesnt help. Diabetes does run in my family, in fact my aunts and uncles who had it, all died early. I am probably lucky I have not developed full blown diabetes because of my diet and exercise.
I want to try taking Metaformin to see if it helps. It has a lot of good reviews especially for stubborn weight loss. My doctor is hesitant to prescribe it, as I am not actually diabetic. I dont think he believes me when I say that I do eat correctly and exercise. Do you think I should press him to get me on metaformin? Would it be safe to try it without prescription? Is there a natural alternative I could try? Thanks for your opinion!

Hi Susan,
If you are not diabetic then you do not need Metformin. Have your A1c checked. This is a blood test to see  the 3 month average of your blood sugar.
To use it to promote weight loss is not a good idea.
Thank you for using Allexperts.
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Eric Brandt

I am a practicing pharmacist.On my drug information website, I have answered hundreds of questions to date. The articles posted on my site include Parkinson`s disease. depression, menopause, diabetes, sleep and aging, congestive heart failure, calcium channel blockers, thyroid hormone replacement therapy, ADHD, multiple sclerosis an more.

I have experience in retail as well as hospital pharmacy pracice. Currently working in a hospital pharmacy. I am experienced in drug information. Over the last 6 years I have developed a successful web site for drug information.

The addressfor my drug information website is http://www.druginformation.bc.caThere you can read articles on varios areas of health interest. You can also leave me questions which I will personally answer. I also have a free health information newsletter called The Caplet. To subscribe send e-mail to