Pharmacy/Migraine Medication

Question
Hello,

I have been taking gabapentin (1800mg/day) for about 3 month, and topomax (200mg/day for about 2 months. I am wondering if you can tell me whether the side effects of anger and anxiety are very pronounced and long term. I have these symptoms (anger, irritability, and anxiety) to begin with. They seemed to be worse when I started the medications, but this seemed more tied to being very tired. However, now things are more leveled off and I am trying to find if these medications might still be provoking these symptoms, or if they'd be more noticeable if it was the medicines.

Second, I am wondering about memory,brain fog, concentration, etc. Does this tend to subside with time? Is it only for small things, like misplacing things for misspelling words? Or if I, for example, take it for 2 years, will my entire memory of my kids growing up be foggy?

Last, I know Topamax can cause vision issues. I have noticed some blurred vision in my left eye. But, I didn't pay any attention before I started taking it. Is this the kind of vision side effect Topomax can cause, or again - would it be more pronounced?

Thank you so much for your time and information.

Answer

The side effects of anger and anxiety may or may not be pronounced and/or long term.  If you are taking gabapentin 1800mg/day, are you taking 600mg three times a day? Perhaps your doctor
can give you different doses to take at different times to help combat fatigue during the day.  

The memory, brain fog, concentration may or may not subside with time.  I am not sure how permanent or temporary it is.  If your Topamax is causing blurred vision, please tell your physician immediately.  He or she may choose to stop the medication.  Are you getting both medications from the same physician? These medications are both anticonvulsants; I am not sure if you need to be on both at the same time.  Perhaps the MD can switch you to an antidepressant instead.  

Pharmacy

Nanaz Khosrowshahi