Pharmacy/Worried what will happen to my Liver

Question
Dear Ms. Khosrowshahi ,

How should I know if Methacarbamol 500mg or 750mg that I take almost always regularly isn't bad for the Liver ?

For example Acetaminophen (Paracetamol) is bad for the liver. I have never taken it.

Reason I take Methacarbamol is that I really have to as it is relaxing for me when I take it, OTHERWISE I'll suffer from sever heart problems  where as Clonazepam is addictive !!

I have very bad psychotic problems.

I take Clomipramine only once a week

Baclofen  10mg  4 times a week

Trihexiphenidyl  1mg once every two weeks

Metoprolol 3 times a week

Olanzapine occasionally

Upon seizure I take Methocarbamol+ Metoprolol+ Chlordiazepoxide

Sincerely

Anonymous1685 user

Answer

It is difficult to tell if a medication that you take regularly isn't bad for the liver.  Lab tests can be ordered to check your liver enzymes.  If the enzymes are elevated, then the drug may need to be discontinued as the elevation may be a sign of toxicity.    Certain medications affect the liver more than others due to how the body gets rid of the drug and for other reasons (ie side effects, drug-drug interactions).  Acetaminophen is bad for the liver if taken in excessive doses or in excess frequency or in those with liver issues (ie hepatitis) or those who consume 3 or more alcoholic drinks daily.  However, it is a commonly prescribed drug that can be safely taken without definitely damaging every patient's liver. If you are taking methocarbamol for relaxation, I would talk to your doctor about this.  It is meant for muscle pain and not as an anxiety reliever.  I am not sure why you are on methocarbamol and baclofen at the same time. Perhaps your physician can increase the daily frequency of the baclofen and omit the methocarbamol.

Pharmacy

Nanaz Khosrowshahi