Pharmacy/Danger in stopping prednisone?

Hi,  I have acute zonal occult outer retinopathy. On October 30, 2015, I began taking prednisone for this - started at 60 mg a day for one week, then stepped down to 50 mg for a week, and continued to step down 10 mg a week. Once I got to 10 mg a day that is what I stayed on, however two weeks ago my doctor de used to start me on Imuran. I am supposed to have started tapering off the prednisone in 16 days, during which time I will increase my Imuran.  However, I have been ill for the past two weeks, first with a stomach virus followed right up with the flu. During this period I have not been able to take the prednisone most days (nausea) - about twice a week I've taken it - I am now wondering if I should even bother going back to the daily dosing or just skip it altogether.  Would it hurt me either way?  Of course I will follow up with my doctor but I can't see him until my appointment on the 17th.  What would be the danger, if any, of just not taking it anymore?  I haven't taken any in three days.

Please contact your physician today about continuing or stopping the prednisone.  I am not in a position to ok either.  I'm uncertain if it will hurt you either way but most likely it w.ill help you to be on prednisone.  The danger is worsening of vision by stopping prednisone.  

Nanaz Khosrowshahi

Being a pharmacist, I can answer questions on medications. This includes how drugs work in the body, drug interactions, drug side effects, warnings and precautions to take when using certain medications, dosage forms and strengths, management of overdosing, storage of medications, drug administration, contraindications, and drug indications. I am able to guide them on lab work that needs to be drawn and monitored while on certain medications. I am able to help patients save money when purchasing medications by directing them to cost-effective therapies. I am able to answer questions on federal laws governing pharmacy practice in the United States. I am unable to answer questions legally as if I am diagnosing the patient's disease or illness. For example, if a patient stated he had upper flank pain, I am unable to say he definitely has a urinary tract infection. However, I am able to direct the patient to the correct next step, which is to call his physician with such a side effect.

I have been a licensed pharmacist since 2007, holding licenses in CT and MA. I have a PHARM.D from an accelerated pharmacy school program. Currently, I work at the Hebrew Home and Hospital in West Hartford, CT as a pharmacist. I am a well-rounded pharmacist, with experience in long-term care, IV home infusion, retail, hospital, and hospice. I serve as the pharmacy unit coordinator for Mass Dispensing Area #31 in CT, where I am called upon as a volunteer pharmacist in case of public emergencies, such as anthrax threats. I helped run the swine flu vaccine clinic in 2009. I am on the Editorial Advisory Board for Pharmacy Today, a publication of the American Pharmacists Association. My position on the board runs for three years. Every month I make suggestions and offer ideas that would help improve the magazine. I have undergone extra training to administer vaccines to patients, which is training that only a certain percentage of registered pharmacists in the country have.

American Pharmacists Association 2007

Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Worcester, MA- PHARM.D 2007 University of California, Irvine- BA psychology 2001 cum laude