Pharmacy/Wellbutrin & Fatigue

Question
Hello,

I took Bupropion XL 150 with some benefit and little side effects. However, when increasing to 300mg, I became extremely fatigued. I hoped that would pass, but after about 6 weeks and no change in extreme tiredness, I dropped back to 150, then quit altogether. I have also noticed a weight gain of about 10 lbs since taking Bupropion . I know that both fatigue and weight gain are contrary to typical side effects. However I am wondering that since I am in the minority that experiences tiredness instead of increased energy, if it is possible that Bupropion may have also contributed to the weight gain.

Second, I am wondering if there is a difference in generic and brand-name, specifically whether I should consider trying Wellbutrin before writing Bupropion off altogether. I had taken it in the past and do not remember any problems with tiredness or low energy.

Thank you.

David

Answer
Hi David,
The monograph states that some people have experienced with thi drug reactions similar to yours. Changing brands is not likely to make a difference to how you respond to the activ ingredient. As you indicated, your adverse reaction is most probably dose related.
Thank you for using Allexperts.
Sincerely,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc.Pharm.  

Pharmacy

Eric Brandt