I suffer from PTSD, which presents in many symptoms including depression, anxiety, insomnia and hyper vigilance (which is very bad at night). I am on a number of medications for the PTSD and other meds for an injury that has left me with chronic pain. I have two questions. I recently had to stop taking the antidepressant Venlafaxine because it was interfering with a liver condition I have. My anxiety has become much worse since I ceased taking Venlafaxine. I'm currently on Mertazapine, but it's not helping with the anxiety. I'm prescribed 5 mugs of diazepam which does help a little. I am seeing my consultant again soon, should I ask for a couple of extra doses of diazepam per day, or is there an antidepressant with anxiolytic effect that doesn't insult the liver that I could ask for. My other question is; I am prescribed Imovane t(eszopiclone) to help me sleep, but it is proving to be ineffective now. Can you recommend something else that would work, I've had nitrazepam and temazepam in the past and found them effective. Would choral hydrate be suitable?

Hi Jack,
Most drugs are liminated by the liver and kidneys. The key is to adjust the dose to compensate for decreased function. I believe you may benefit from low dose citaopram. Trazodone at bedtime can also help with anxiety and sleep. Ask your doctor about these options.
Thank you for using Allxperts.
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Eric Brandt

I am a practicing pharmacist.On my drug information website, I have answered hundreds of questions to date. The articles posted on my site include Parkinson`s disease. depression, menopause, diabetes, sleep and aging, congestive heart failure, calcium channel blockers, thyroid hormone replacement therapy, ADHD, multiple sclerosis an more.

I have experience in retail as well as hospital pharmacy pracice. Currently working in a hospital pharmacy. I am experienced in drug information. Over the last 6 years I have developed a successful web site for drug information.

The addressfor my drug information website is http://www.druginformation.bc.caThere you can read articles on varios areas of health interest. You can also leave me questions which I will personally answer. I also have a free health information newsletter called The Caplet. To subscribe send e-mail to