Pharmacy/Buproprion

Question
Eric
Thanks for answering my previous questions. I have sent you a donation.
I am now back on Citalopram, and after three days it has really helped my IBS symptoms. I was not depressed, but I feel generally better mentally as well. I have been on Buproprion for about 15 years now for adult A.D.D. I think one reason my doc prescribed the Citalopram is because it goes well with the Buproprion. I am still a bit worried however, and am thinking of discontinuing the Buproprion. I think I have, at 57, possibly outgrown the A.D.D, but I also like to have a few drinks on the weekend and I am worried about the interactions of both these drugs and the alcohol. I will speak to my doc of course, but would appreciate you opinion. Thanks so much.

Answer
Hi Bud,
Bupropion can increase the blood level of Citalopram. Citalopram therefor is best initiated at lower doses and titrated up.
You should not stop bupropion abruptly. Work with your doctor on a tapering off plan if your doctor agrees. This is to avoid recurrence of symptoms. If you do get off bupropion then there may need to be a dosage adjustment of Citalopram depending on your symptoms.
Thank you for using Allexperts.
Sincerely,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Pharmacy

Eric Brandt