Pharmacy/Omneprazoile

Question
Nanaz
I have been taking Omneprazole for several years for acid reflux. I am 57, in good general health. I have cut back on coffee and alcohol in an attempt to discontine it, but after being off it for a couple weeks I get heartburn and nausea in the early a.m. so I have to go back on.  A few questions? Do some people have to stay on it permanently? Are there any side effects from long term use? In the last couple years I have had more digestive issues, especially bloating. Is this from the Omneprazole? Thanks!

Answer
Yes, some people are on omeprazole as well as the drugs in this drug class known as proton pump inhibitors for life.  The side effects from long term use include bleeding, GI perforation, nausea, tolerance, etc.  Omeprazole may cause bloating.  I would let your doctor know about the digestive issues, including bloating.  

Pharmacy

Nanaz Khosrowshahi