Pharmacy/constipation

Question
eric,I have read that olive oil not extra virgin but regular olive oil will give you a bowel movement with no problems.is this true.if you have not gone to bathroom for4 days whats safe.im 82 and have diabetes and a-fib.sometimes lactulose gives me diarrhea.what is safe and works to produce bowel movement I one day

Answer
Hi Howard,
I have no experience with the use of oil oil for constipation. My initial reaction about regular use of oils for laxatives is that it will deplete you of gar soluble nutrients. Occasional use may be ok. I have has good results with the use of PegLax and similar products.
Thank you for using Allexperts.
Sincerely,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Pharmacy

Eric Brandt