Pharmacy/metheltrexate

Question
Hi,  I had an episode of gastroparisis about 6 years ago and the doctor put me on methotrexate 5mg once a week.  I hear this is a dangerous drug and asked the doctor to take me off of it but he said NO.  Last year I was diagnosed with diabetes and have to take insulin shots.  This puzzles me because I am not overweight, its not in my family line, I get exercise and eat right. Is there any link between methotrexate and diabetes?

Answer
Hi Dan,
Diabetes is a potential side effect of methotrexate. Also gastroparesis can be caused by diabetes. Ask your doctor what he thinks the underlying cause if your gastroparesis is to have prescribed the methotrexate.
Thank you for using Allexperts
Sincerely,
Eric Brabdt, B.Sc. Pharm

Pharmacy

Eric Brandt