Pharmacy/Migraine meds

Question
Hello, my mother is 86 years old. She is currently on tegretol for seizures. Recently someone told me about a drug called Topamax for migraine headaches. I asked her DR. about this and the DR. prescribed it. After reading about it, I'm not sure I want to give it to her. I asked my local pharmacist about it, she asked me why she prescribed it to her ? I told her that I had asked the DR. about it. The DR said yes we could try it. I told the pharmacist about my concerns with side effects. My local pharmacist said there is other meds that she could have prescribed to her. I must say that my mother is unable to take narcotics due to they will upset her stomach. Do you know of meds I could ask her DR. about ? My mother has migraines most days, my sister and I think they are weather related due to the fact they are worse when the weather changes or storms come through, also many times my mothers headaches coinside with my neice getting headaches the same time. We currently give my mother fioricet, Coq10 with magnesium, but they only help slightly. Should we try the Topamax ? I am worried about the side effects listed on the paper that came with the Topamax.
Thank You.
Doug.

Answer
Hi Doug,
Topamax is a medication used to treat epilepsy as well as for preventing some types of headaches. It may be beneficial in your mom's case.  Ideally she should be assessed by a neurologist to ultimately decide the best treatment.
Thank you for using Allexperts.
Sincerely,
Eric Brandt, B.sc. Pharm

Pharmacy

Eric Brandt