Pharmacy/decongestant

Question
Hi Nanaz,

I apologize for my ignorance in the medical field, but just had to ask.

My wife has high blood pressure and she is unable to take decongestants for a head cold because it raises her blood pressure.
That got me thinking, as a child she had a lot of problems with her ears and the pediatrician at the time prescribed decongestants for two years, which didn’t help by the way. So she was constantly on decongestants for two solid years.
Anyway, if taking decongestants now increases her blood pressure, can taking decongestants as a child for two years cause high blood pressure?
She is overweight, but high blood pressure doesn’t seem to run in her family.
Thank you,
Randy
USA – MA

Answer
Hi,  I am uncertain if taking decongestants for 2 solid years as a child would cause hypertension as an adult.  Most likely it would not.  Once the offending agent is removed the blood pressure should return to baseline levels.  If she is overweight, it may contribute to her high blood pressure.  Heavily salted foods can increase blood pressure as can stress and lack of exercise.  I would recommend having her talk to her doctor about all this.  There are medications that can cause high blood pressure; I am uncertain if she is on any medications.  

Thanks for the question,

nanaz  

Pharmacy

Nanaz Khosrowshahi