Philippines/Criminal conviction / travel to Philippines

Jim wrote at 2013-07-28 09:49:22
Your advice to this guy could have him ending up in prison if the police discover he has travelled to another country without telling them. The Sex Offenders Act is VERY strict in what you can and cannot do. His original offence may have been quite minor, but breaking the his conditions will be seen as SERIOUS and could end up with him going back to court and getting a greater sentence than his original one.

The advice you should give is for him to go and discuss this with his sex offender case worker as they will be in possession of the facts.

AsiaBill wrote at 2014-02-01 14:02:33
Once again like Mark before him Jim is thinking like an American as he has been taught and raised to think rather than questioning all that he knows and  curious and respectful enough to wonder if things work differently in other countries and cultures worldwide as they often do. The American definition of underage sex offender would apply to MILLIONS of people in dozens of countries where students graduate from high school at 16 and college at 20 and it's VERY common for 20 somethings to marry 16 and 17 year olds. Just because the USA criminal data bank functions one way doesn't mean that such is as efficient in other countries. In so many countries around the world laws can be flexible and left to the interpretation of the government official on the spot  

Bill and Lorna Collings

Feel FREE to ask us about traveling, living, relocating, retiring and investing in the Philippines. Guests from 93 countries, the latest being a female PHD from Uganda, make our place in Manila an incredible meeting place for world travelers who exchange travel stories. We understand both the joys and the hardships of living and traveling in the Philippines.

I arrived in the Philippines in January 1980 to travel for 2 months; I stayed 4 months before reluctantly leaving. I met my Filipina wife, Lorna. an incredible stellar, "one in a million" individual in 1983 in Seoul and we moved to the Philippines in 1986 and opened our 3BR house to world travelers on a budget. After welcoming thousands of guests from 93 nations our place has grown to 38 bedrooms in 5 townhouse units, 4 of which are attached but will never lose its "Home away from Home" atmosphere. Almost everyday at The Townhouse Hotel there's a party-like social scene with vibrant, almost magical energetic conversations between our guests who have the pleasure to meet each other and share their life's many experiences.Often three groups with conversations in different languages are going on at the same time. So we've been exposed to every kind of person from all over the world and shared their experiences. Since arriving back in the Philippines Nov 2011 from traveling for 8 months my wife and I have been busy buying land, building houses and expanding our Boracay beach front resort, Casa Camilla for 16 months. Hopefully we'll be finished by the end of 2013 with a total of 50 apartments, 44 units for yearly stays and the six units in our house to be saved for short term stays.

Publications,, who asked me to apply with

some college 2-1/2 years - no degree - I've been traveling since I was 18, almost 30 years.

Luckily, my wife and I have been semi-retired since we were 30 years old, almost 30 years.

3000 to 4000 world travelers and guests on a budget pass through our guest house style Townhouse Hotel / Hostel each year since 1986 so we do get a lot of feedback and share a lot of experiences with people which we can then pass on to help others with their questions and problems