My husband's high school friend is embroiled in a drama with a woman he married in the Phillipines.  First of all, he is paying for 2 children, 5th and 9th grade, to attend school at Divine Word College in San Jose.  I would love to be able to find what tuition is there, but as I can't seem to find a working website, I am unable to ascertain this information.  

Further, I am not sure what the best route is to direct him in to go about getting the necessary paperwork to come to the U.S.  They were married in April 2012, and at this point, to my knowledge a marriage certificate changing her name arrived after 3 months, but apparently no new birth certificate has arrived, which seems to be necessary to even start the visa process.  I have no idea if that is accurate or not.  It appears we are looking at a 6-10 month wait even after that visa paperwork is filed, along with the accompanying filing fee.

Is it not possible for this phillipino woman to come to the U.S. for a visit while this is being processed.  She's never been to America, seems it might be wise to come visit.  From your bio, it seems you might have particular expertise on this wife/immigration matter.  

He also wishes to adopt these 2 children he is sending to school - though they are not his new wife's children, they are the children of her sister.  

I appreciate any direction you can give me as I embark on this journey that appears to have a steep learning curve.  Thanks in advance for your assistance.

She would need a certified true copy of her birth certificate, NBI clearance and a legal capacity document proving she is single and not previously married BEFORE being eligible for a fiance visa and would need the visa issued to be able to board any flight to the States. It's fairly common for family members to "adopt" their less responsible sibling's kids but if it's NOT official which is often the case then it would be nearly impossible for the American to adopt the kids for 2 or 3+ years. With the high divorce rate and the high cost of living in the USA thousands of aging American men are seeking marriage abroad with foreign women, especially Filipinos and Russians but long distance relationships have many problems as well. Some find the right person but many do not making exactly the same mistakes as they have made with their previous American wives and relationships. Such if life;nobody wants to age nor die alone.

Bill and Lorna Collings

Feel FREE to ask us about traveling, living, relocating, retiring and investing in the Philippines. Guests from 93 countries, the latest being a female PHD from Uganda, make our place in Manila an incredible meeting place for world travelers who exchange travel stories. We understand both the joys and the hardships of living and traveling in the Philippines.

I arrived in the Philippines in January 1980 to travel for 2 months; I stayed 4 months before reluctantly leaving. I met my Filipina wife, Lorna. an incredible stellar, "one in a million" individual in 1983 in Seoul and we moved to the Philippines in 1986 and opened our 3BR house to world travelers on a budget. After welcoming thousands of guests from 93 nations our place has grown to 38 bedrooms in 5 townhouse units, 4 of which are attached but will never lose its "Home away from Home" atmosphere. Almost everyday at The Townhouse Hotel there's a party-like social scene with vibrant, almost magical energetic conversations between our guests who have the pleasure to meet each other and share their life's many experiences.Often three groups with conversations in different languages are going on at the same time. So we've been exposed to every kind of person from all over the world and shared their experiences. Since arriving back in the Philippines Nov 2011 from traveling for 8 months my wife and I have been busy buying land, building houses and expanding our Boracay beach front resort, Casa Camilla for 16 months. Hopefully we'll be finished by the end of 2013 with a total of 50 apartments, 44 units for yearly stays and the six units in our house to be saved for short term stays.

Publications,, who asked me to apply with

some college 2-1/2 years - no degree - I've been traveling since I was 18, almost 30 years.

Luckily, my wife and I have been semi-retired since we were 30 years old, almost 30 years.

3000 to 4000 world travelers and guests on a budget pass through our guest house style Townhouse Hotel / Hostel each year since 1986 so we do get a lot of feedback and share a lot of experiences with people which we can then pass on to help others with their questions and problems