Philippines/British/Filipina marriage

Hi.  What an interesting site - well done!

I have just got engaged to my Filipina girlfriend.  We have known each other for 6 years and I am currently on my third visit to the Philippines so we are not rushing into anything.  I am 67 and she is 45 with an 11 year old daughter.

My question is to find out the pros and cons of getting married in the UK or in the Philippines.  We intend to live in the UK after getting married but want to think carefully in advance about the benefits or disadvantages of having a UK or Philippines marriage certificate.

I appreciate that the immigration rules seems to be changing with great frequency recently but I am sure that you can offer useful and relevant hints and tips.

Best wishes,

PS Whereabouts in Manila are you?

Thanks John for your kind words! The main considerations are one, if you plan an elaborate church wedding everything is so much cheaper here in the Philippines. Ours was in San Augustin Church in Manila's historical Intramuros area in 1985 and with limo rental, video, photos, dinner for 120 persons, bride's maids' dresses and wedding dress was only U$2000. The second consideration is divorce which is possible in UK but either not possible or a much more complicated issue here in the Philippines. UK's laws and immigration regulations etc etc may pose other pros and cons I'm not aware of but Philippine immigration would not as it doesn't matter where a Filipino is married as long as the spouse has the same surname on their passport. Hope that helps , CONGRATULATIONS to both of you, enjoy life and be happy. Bill and Lorna

Bill and Lorna Collings

Feel FREE to ask us about traveling, living, relocating, retiring and investing in the Philippines. Guests from 93 countries, the latest being a female PHD from Uganda, make our place in Manila an incredible meeting place for world travelers who exchange travel stories. We understand both the joys and the hardships of living and traveling in the Philippines.

I arrived in the Philippines in January 1980 to travel for 2 months; I stayed 4 months before reluctantly leaving. I met my Filipina wife, Lorna. an incredible stellar, "one in a million" individual in 1983 in Seoul and we moved to the Philippines in 1986 and opened our 3BR house to world travelers on a budget. After welcoming thousands of guests from 93 nations our place has grown to 38 bedrooms in 5 townhouse units, 4 of which are attached but will never lose its "Home away from Home" atmosphere. Almost everyday at The Townhouse Hotel there's a party-like social scene with vibrant, almost magical energetic conversations between our guests who have the pleasure to meet each other and share their life's many experiences.Often three groups with conversations in different languages are going on at the same time. So we've been exposed to every kind of person from all over the world and shared their experiences. Since arriving back in the Philippines Nov 2011 from traveling for 8 months my wife and I have been busy buying land, building houses and expanding our Boracay beach front resort, Casa Camilla for 16 months. Hopefully we'll be finished by the end of 2013 with a total of 50 apartments, 44 units for yearly stays and the six units in our house to be saved for short term stays.

Publications,, who asked me to apply with

some college 2-1/2 years - no degree - I've been traveling since I was 18, almost 30 years.

Luckily, my wife and I have been semi-retired since we were 30 years old, almost 30 years.

3000 to 4000 world travelers and guests on a budget pass through our guest house style Townhouse Hotel / Hostel each year since 1986 so we do get a lot of feedback and share a lot of experiences with people which we can then pass on to help others with their questions and problems