Philippines/detached passport cover

QUESTION: hello bill!

I'm currently in japan under SOFA Status with my US military husband. We are to travel back to the states by April. tickets were purchased already unfortunately my Philippine passport cover was detached from the main 44 pages, our ports are narita-Detroit. can i still travel with such passport?

replacement process as per Tokyo embassy would take 2 months and or plus clearing period of 15 working days

ANSWER: My passport was put in the wash machine by mistake and looked very used and it was no problem to travel with for a couple of years. Lorna, my Filipina wife also thinks your passport cover detached will not make any difference and will be allowed to enter the USA with your US military husband.

when was the last time you used such damage passport? i have called japanese immigration and told me it depends upon the officer checking my passport if its fine with him.

Sorry there is NO ABSOLUTE 100% ANSWER to your question because EACH and EVERY PERSON who travels can only enter a country depending on the individual immigration official on duty. If you NEED a 100% answer then CANCEL or change your flight schedule, get a new Philippine passport issued and go after that. If the official refuses you entry, NOTHING anybody from ALL the Embassies in Japan told you will make any difference

Bill and Lorna Collings

Feel FREE to ask us about traveling, living, relocating, retiring and investing in the Philippines. Guests from 93 countries, the latest being a female PHD from Uganda, make our place in Manila an incredible meeting place for world travelers who exchange travel stories. We understand both the joys and the hardships of living and traveling in the Philippines.

I arrived in the Philippines in January 1980 to travel for 2 months; I stayed 4 months before reluctantly leaving. I met my Filipina wife, Lorna. an incredible stellar, "one in a million" individual in 1983 in Seoul and we moved to the Philippines in 1986 and opened our 3BR house to world travelers on a budget. After welcoming thousands of guests from 93 nations our place has grown to 38 bedrooms in 5 townhouse units, 4 of which are attached but will never lose its "Home away from Home" atmosphere. Almost everyday at The Townhouse Hotel there's a party-like social scene with vibrant, almost magical energetic conversations between our guests who have the pleasure to meet each other and share their life's many experiences.Often three groups with conversations in different languages are going on at the same time. So we've been exposed to every kind of person from all over the world and shared their experiences. Since arriving back in the Philippines Nov 2011 from traveling for 8 months my wife and I have been busy buying land, building houses and expanding our Boracay beach front resort, Casa Camilla for 16 months. Hopefully we'll be finished by the end of 2013 with a total of 50 apartments, 44 units for yearly stays and the six units in our house to be saved for short term stays.

Publications,, who asked me to apply with

some college 2-1/2 years - no degree - I've been traveling since I was 18, almost 30 years.

Luckily, my wife and I have been semi-retired since we were 30 years old, almost 30 years.

3000 to 4000 world travelers and guests on a budget pass through our guest house style Townhouse Hotel / Hostel each year since 1986 so we do get a lot of feedback and share a lot of experiences with people which we can then pass on to help others with their questions and problems