Philippines/Marriage of U S citizen to second philippina wife

QUESTION: I was married to a girl from philippines, in the philippines which lasted 15 years.  I am an american citizen.  After divorce in united states i married another girl from philippines.  Does th philippines government honor the divorce in the united states and allow for the american to marry another girl in philippines or dies the americsn have to have an annulment in the philippines from the first Philippine wife first.

ANSWER: No the USA divorce is not honored and will not be honored especially if you were married in a Philippine Catholic Church. if you only had a civil wedding then it's much easier but necessary to secure an annulment ( P100,000 to P150,000 ++).

QUESTION: I was wondering if my second marriage is valid.  Iam was married to a philippina in philippinesband then divorced in US after 15 years.  Then i went back to philippinesc and married another girl from philippines , in the philippines.  Is the second marriage valid?  No annulment was given for the first marriage in philippines but a second marriagevlic was issued in philippines for the second wife.  The first marriage was civil nd few years later in the catholic church.

ANSWER: for the second time NO Steve as you will find out when submitting an spousal immigrant visa application to the USA Embassy in Manila. But as far as getting married multiple times here in the Philippines it's so EASY but that doesn't mean the second , third or more marriages will be legally recognized. The Philippines Army soldiers do it all the time as they are stationed in various regions for a few years each. A "Taguig Wedding" in Metro-Manila is slang for such 2nd or 3rd weddings/ marriages where a local municipal judge is paid to marry a couple. Beware of lying on your USA visa application though because if and likely caught your 2nd Filipina wife will NEVER be issued a visa. We know from experience as a personal friend's Filipina lied about her former Swiss husband and her little "brother" turned out to be her child with a Filipino.

QUESTION: Thanks for the answer but the second wife was already issued a visa and living in US with me.  She been here for two years

LUCKY YOU, The USA Embassy rarely misses such data so maybe your first marriage registration was not completed. Such things are possible especially in the provinces. GOOD LUCK to BOTH OF YOU! So I really don't understand the point of your question as you must know in the Philippines there's no divorce??  

Bill and Lorna Collings

Feel FREE to ask us about traveling, living, relocating, retiring and investing in the Philippines. Guests from 93 countries, the latest being a female PHD from Uganda, make our place in Manila an incredible meeting place for world travelers who exchange travel stories. We understand both the joys and the hardships of living and traveling in the Philippines.

I arrived in the Philippines in January 1980 to travel for 2 months; I stayed 4 months before reluctantly leaving. I met my Filipina wife, Lorna. an incredible stellar, "one in a million" individual in 1983 in Seoul and we moved to the Philippines in 1986 and opened our 3BR house to world travelers on a budget. After welcoming thousands of guests from 93 nations our place has grown to 38 bedrooms in 5 townhouse units, 4 of which are attached but will never lose its "Home away from Home" atmosphere. Almost everyday at The Townhouse Hotel there's a party-like social scene with vibrant, almost magical energetic conversations between our guests who have the pleasure to meet each other and share their life's many experiences.Often three groups with conversations in different languages are going on at the same time. So we've been exposed to every kind of person from all over the world and shared their experiences. Since arriving back in the Philippines Nov 2011 from traveling for 8 months my wife and I have been busy buying land, building houses and expanding our Boracay beach front resort, Casa Camilla for 16 months. Hopefully we'll be finished by the end of 2013 with a total of 50 apartments, 44 units for yearly stays and the six units in our house to be saved for short term stays.

Publications,, who asked me to apply with

some college 2-1/2 years - no degree - I've been traveling since I was 18, almost 30 years.

Luckily, my wife and I have been semi-retired since we were 30 years old, almost 30 years.

3000 to 4000 world travelers and guests on a budget pass through our guest house style Townhouse Hotel / Hostel each year since 1986 so we do get a lot of feedback and share a lot of experiences with people which we can then pass on to help others with their questions and problems