Philippines/13A Visa-Police clearance question

Wobbles wrote at 2013-04-10 03:21:29
Why not just get your 13a visa in the Philippines. It's my understanding that a Police clearance from your home country is not a requirement. Only the local NBI clearance for which I also understand is only a search of your conduct in The Philippines. Please correct me if I am wrong because this is the route I am taking. Too expensive a process to do it in Australia.

TeeJay wrote at 2014-02-13 00:45:52
As of the end of the 4th quarter 2013 the Bureau of Immigration or BI in the Philippines is now requiring a police clearance (though it is very unclear what that requires)from the country or origin. In my case the U.S. and I am already here. A real pain. It also has to be sent to the Philippine consulate in your home country for authentication and then sent back to you. It may be a hassle in your home country but it is a much bigger one if you are already in the Philippines. There is also a time limit on the police clearance for submission to the BI with your SRRV or 13A visa application. You also need to have your means of support paperwork authenticated by the Philippine consulate.  

Bill and Lorna Collings

Feel FREE to ask us about traveling, living, relocating, retiring and investing in the Philippines. Guests from 93 countries, the latest being a female PHD from Uganda, make our place in Manila an incredible meeting place for world travelers who exchange travel stories. We understand both the joys and the hardships of living and traveling in the Philippines.

I arrived in the Philippines in January 1980 to travel for 2 months; I stayed 4 months before reluctantly leaving. I met my Filipina wife, Lorna. an incredible stellar, "one in a million" individual in 1983 in Seoul and we moved to the Philippines in 1986 and opened our 3BR house to world travelers on a budget. After welcoming thousands of guests from 93 nations our place has grown to 38 bedrooms in 5 townhouse units, 4 of which are attached but will never lose its "Home away from Home" atmosphere. Almost everyday at The Townhouse Hotel there's a party-like social scene with vibrant, almost magical energetic conversations between our guests who have the pleasure to meet each other and share their life's many experiences.Often three groups with conversations in different languages are going on at the same time. So we've been exposed to every kind of person from all over the world and shared their experiences. Since arriving back in the Philippines Nov 2011 from traveling for 8 months my wife and I have been busy buying land, building houses and expanding our Boracay beach front resort, Casa Camilla for 16 months. Hopefully we'll be finished by the end of 2013 with a total of 50 apartments, 44 units for yearly stays and the six units in our house to be saved for short term stays.

Publications,, who asked me to apply with

some college 2-1/2 years - no degree - I've been traveling since I was 18, almost 30 years.

Luckily, my wife and I have been semi-retired since we were 30 years old, almost 30 years.

3000 to 4000 world travelers and guests on a budget pass through our guest house style Townhouse Hotel / Hostel each year since 1986 so we do get a lot of feedback and share a lot of experiences with people which we can then pass on to help others with their questions and problems