Philippines/Friend held hostage

Question
My friend is on a visitor's visa to the Philippines. He suffered a stroke and has been in the hospital. He should be released by Monday, he told us that he can't leave the country until his hospital bill is paid. He is due to come back to the US February 25, 2013, he has no money as he only gets abut $800 a month Social Security. What can he do?

Answer
I really don't know what he can do except for the obvious, ESCAPE or do what most people do when they're broke, ask relatives or friends to send money, contact his embassy for help, and bring his hospital proof to show immigration upon departure to avoid late / overstay fees. If he tells the hospital he has NO MONEY then sooner or later they will release him because each and everyday he stays is costing them money.
One of our maids fell and hurt her elbow recently and the clinic was ready to put a cast on even though her arm was not broken because they thought her employer US would pay but when it was explained that this woman had just arrived and didn't even have baggage they released her immediately. A hospital is a BUSINESS so they it's only a pyche war between patient and hospital when he is allowed to leave.

Philippines

Bill and Lorna Collings