Philippines/Retired wanting to live in Philippines

Question
QUESTION: I am retired already.living on a pension. I don't have a lot of savings. I want to live in the Philippines with my girlfriend. We're not married yet..I want to rent a house & live with her. I didn't realize all the Philippines laws. Is there a way I could do this without a financial burden on me.

ANSWER: James, Be more specific and I can paint a better picture of what is possible for you budget wise.
Monthly net income?
50% to 100% of your Savings? ( keeping something in the States for a "rainy day" is wise )
approximate total of your present belongings / assets / possessions if you sold them via a garage sale or using local or internet free classified ads or via eBay.com etc etc??

QUESTION: My monthly net income is only 3 thousand a month. I only have about 20 thousand saved. If I sold my possession maybe another 8 thousand. I know it's not much but I don't want to work again. If stay in USA I probably would have to. I'm 58 yrs. old.

ANSWER: LUCKY YOU JAMES so you have NO WORRIES ALL! 80% of the retirees here in the Philippines are living simple but quality lifestyles on U$800 to U$1500 / month and most come here with less than U$10,000 in savings. Keep in mind that the average annual income in the Philippines is U$2000 to U$5000 / year.

Small World my wife and I are also 58 both of us turning 59 in the next 3 weeks and we've been living a semi-retired lifestyle since we were 30 years old. So we know only too well why you don't want to keep working and want to start LIVING, enjoying life to the max. So leave half your savings in the States, open 2 bank accounts, one U$ account and one peso account here in the Philippines. You will be issued a 21 day tourist visa upon arrival so go to immigration to apply for a VISA WAIVER extending your status to 59 days but when you go to pick up your passport re-apply again for 2 month extension giving you a total of 4 months. DO the same a week before expiry so you can save yourself trips to immigration ( there are satellite offices all over the Philippines ) Also it's no big deal if you're late, P1000 ( U$24+ ) / month late fee; I remained a tourist status for 15 or more years here with an average of 2-1/2 to 4 months late many times; my record stay was 1 year 5 months on a 21 day visa. But that has changed now, it's even easier because a 21 day tourist visa can be extended from 16 to 24 month, then you leave the country on a cheap flight to HK, BGK, China, Vietnam, Malaysia fly back even after only a day to start the whole process again.When you turn 62 I think the SRRV ( special resident retirement visa ) bond goes down from U$25,000 to U$10,000 which easy to save on your income. This type of visa allows you to operate a small business and reside here without leaving and it even protects foreigners from their Filipina wives ( should domestic problems occur you're safe from any immigration status threat)

Best to rent for the first few years you are here but after several years of living on less than half your monthly income you can easily save U$10,000 / year so could afford to buy a modest house for U$25000 to U$50,000 here. WELCOME ABOARD! Mabuhay from Boracay Island!
www.retireboracay.com
http:www.casacamillaboracay.com
http://www.hotelmanila.com

QUESTION: I'm in Philippines already. Going to get visa extension. My return flight to U.S. is on May 27, 2013. Thinking about changing return flight to late December . Then take care of everything then. Do I bring what kind of money deposit check to open up an account? How would I file U.S. taxes also. Would I have to go home for that? Thanks

Answer
You can file US taxes on-line fairly easily. Best to open up your bank accounts here with the minimum like P2000 to P10,000 for peso accounts and U$500 to U$1000 for U$accounts. I recomment Metrobank as it's the Chinese Filipino community's favored bank but we also have  ALLIED BANK Accts

Philippines

Bill and Lorna Collings