Philippines/UK citizen leasing land in Philippines

Question
Hi Bill and Lorna,
         I've visited the Philippines several times and i'd like to buy (lease) some land to build a small beach house on. The house would be used by myself for vacations, as I would still be spending time in the UK. I've seen land for sale, would the normal course of action be to ask the owner if he would lease you the land rather than sell? Do you have any experience with non Filipinos buying (leasing) land.
       The lots I'm interested in are in Cebu would you know anybody locally who could assist me.
        Many thanks
         Charlie.

Answer
Charlie the best form of ownership for foreigners is first to pay an accounting firm to register a Philippine corporation which requires 5 persons ( cost P20,000 to P30,000 ) then after building the house apply for a Tax Declaration for the house only as proof of ownership.  Cebu's a big island and Cebu is the 2nd biggest city in RP so no shortage of accountants ( lawyers will charge about 3 times more for incorporation and just sub-contract to an accounting firm anyway ) . The Tax Declaration is applied for through the local municipal land office and may take several months up to even a year depending on the staff and their willingness to do their job or delay it hoping to collect extra "facilitation" fees if you know what I mean.  

Philippines

Bill and Lorna Collings