Philippines/Retiring in the Philippines ... challenge ...

Question
QUESTION: Bill & Lorna, I am 53 & a USA citizen.  My partner (who holds a duel citizenship with the USA and Philippines) & I (actually we are legally married in CT & we are aware that the Philippines does not recognize same-sex marriages) will be relocating to the Philippines later this summer, early fall with his family there to manage his mother's apartments--we are hoping it will be permanent if we can get past my challenge of gaining residence in the Philippines.  I would love to take advantage of the SRRV; however, I don't have $20k to put into a savings & I will not be able to retire early until 9 more years where I will have at least $800 coming in from SSA.  Are there exceptions to the time deposit of the SRRV? or is there another approach I should consider until I reach age 62?  Can I work at the embassy & get a work permit? Work anywhere else in the Philippines with a work permit & have permanent residence there?  Now I am greatly appreciating what my partner had to go through to enter the USA.  I don't mean to be blank but what is time deposit anyway?  Obviously a newbie to living outside the USA.  Thank you so much in advance!  Bob

ANSWER: Bob, It's fairly easy to remain a tourist here and costs about U$600 / year extending every 2 months for up to 16 to 24 months before needing to leave the country for even one day to come back and start the whole process over again. I have been here on and off since 1980 but love traveling so except when I arrive with my wife or daughter with Philippine passports and get issued a Balikbayan visa I have been a tourist for decades. I frequently didn't apply for tourist visa extensions for 2 to 4 months late and it's no problem ( P1000 late fee / month )

Work permits are NOT easy to obtain nor is a foreigner getting a job here in the Philippines realistic. Small business ventures can be very profitable after foreign expats adjust to the local market and budgets but of course most likely 4 out of 5 foreigners who invest in small businesses lose their savings / capital within 1 to 5 years. But those who do succeed over a period of years prosper beyond their wildest dreams like us.

Depending on your skills sometimes other foreign and some Filipino business owners do employ foreigners for short term projects or a variety of partime work off the record without work permits. Remember and remind yourself the annual income in the Philippines is U$1000 to U$3000 / YEAR and maybe about double that in the largest cities so don't overvalue your time and skills. Start thinking like two thirds of humanity who live in the developing nations aka third world where credit is not readily available. In other words, turn back the clock about 80 to 100+ years when Americans got paid far less before the power of unions but paid less taxes and lived without so many government regulations. I LOVE the Philippines and the Filipino people and culture. The elderly are taken care of instead of being put in nursing homes, gays and lesbians are accepted and tolerated so much that they are a firm place in mainstream society.

Welcome Aboard!! Mabuhay Philippines!!!

QUESTION: Bill & Lorna, wow, thank you for such a quick answer and such detail.  Very, very helpful ... may I ask one further question, since I am over 50, have no pension, how does this SRRV process works to invest $20K in property ... such as a condo?  Do you have to time deposit to a bank first, how long? then have PRA approval for a purchase?  I have been a music director and organist for the Catholic church for about 38 years ... we are attempting to communicate with my partner's priest friends to entertain some kind of work visa in a religious institution ... not sure how that will work.  Well, as you can see, I am trying to explore every avenue to be able to move there with my partner.  The tourist visa sounds like the most probably, but want to continue exploring other possibilities.  Again, thank you so very much!  Bob

Answer
Bob , You are not required to invest in an overpriced condo or golf course membership to obtain the SRRV; that applies only if you want to use the deposit for such purposes. Otherwise you just maintain the deposit until you reach the age when it's no longer required when you can remove it and use it anyway you prefer. We have an old friend who's lived in Sagada for many years; after their church organist passed away maybe 10+ years ago our friend was able to obtain a visa for him to play the organ at church. I don't know what type of visa it is but that it a possibility. Good Luck, Bill

Philippines

Bill and Lorna Collings