Philippines/tourist visa and money

First I have to ask your forgiveness if I am a bit naive.

1. It seems that I can get a $90 dollar (US) multi-entrance 1 year tourist visa from a Philippine Consulate or Embassy, but then it makes it also sound like an American is only aloud to get a normal 21 day tourist visa and then extensions causing a minimum immigration cost of $44 average dollars a month over 16 months. I realize that entering without a visa does require only 21 days with possible extensions, although I will have to discuss that as well, but I would not or do not understand not being able to get the visa if I did read that correctly. I thought they particularly wanted Americans and Europeans to live in the Philippines. Did I misread the government info? Is an American able to obtain the 1 year multi-entrance tourist visa at a Philippine embassy in the US? If so, what is meant by multi-entrance? Does that mean a person has to leave and return to the Philippines many times during that year or does it just give us the ability to do so without renewing the visa each time?

2. If a person is forced to do the 21 day/extensions routine; How does a person get around the requirement to have a round trip or extended(continued) trip plane ticket upon arrival in the Philippines? If you can get the extensions, why should you have to have the ticket? That seems like a really useless expense and loss. Please help me with all of this.

In Theory yes but in many cases depending on the embassy anyone applying for a one year multiple entry will be required to show his banking and employment record etc. I'd already lived in the Philippines 7 years and been going back and forth many years when I thought why not apply next time we're in New york city when we lived in CT. The Philippine Embassy seemed so reluctant to issue me even only a 59 day visa I decided never to go back.

OF COURSE foreign expats and retirees are more than welcome to stay in the Philippines as long as they like but sometimes various red tape or departments of government can make one think otherwise. I LOVE the Philippines, arriving as a backpacker at 25 years old in Jan 1980 and now at 59 years old still happy and at home here.  

Bill and Lorna Collings

Feel FREE to ask us about traveling, living, relocating, retiring and investing in the Philippines. Guests from 93 countries, the latest being a female PHD from Uganda, make our place in Manila an incredible meeting place for world travelers who exchange travel stories. We understand both the joys and the hardships of living and traveling in the Philippines.

I arrived in the Philippines in January 1980 to travel for 2 months; I stayed 4 months before reluctantly leaving. I met my Filipina wife, Lorna. an incredible stellar, "one in a million" individual in 1983 in Seoul and we moved to the Philippines in 1986 and opened our 3BR house to world travelers on a budget. After welcoming thousands of guests from 93 nations our place has grown to 38 bedrooms in 5 townhouse units, 4 of which are attached but will never lose its "Home away from Home" atmosphere. Almost everyday at The Townhouse Hotel there's a party-like social scene with vibrant, almost magical energetic conversations between our guests who have the pleasure to meet each other and share their life's many experiences.Often three groups with conversations in different languages are going on at the same time. So we've been exposed to every kind of person from all over the world and shared their experiences. Since arriving back in the Philippines Nov 2011 from traveling for 8 months my wife and I have been busy buying land, building houses and expanding our Boracay beach front resort, Casa Camilla for 16 months. Hopefully we'll be finished by the end of 2013 with a total of 50 apartments, 44 units for yearly stays and the six units in our house to be saved for short term stays.

Publications,, who asked me to apply with

some college 2-1/2 years - no degree - I've been traveling since I was 18, almost 30 years.

Luckily, my wife and I have been semi-retired since we were 30 years old, almost 30 years.

3000 to 4000 world travelers and guests on a budget pass through our guest house style Townhouse Hotel / Hostel each year since 1986 so we do get a lot of feedback and share a lot of experiences with people which we can then pass on to help others with their questions and problems