Philippines/Visa application


QUESTION: Hello, i have friend in Sweden and she is planning to have vacation here in Philippines for 6 to 8 weeks. Do she need to get visa there in Sweden before comming here? as far as i know as Swedish citizen they are 21 days visa free but shes insisting that maybe she need visa before coming here. Thank you and God bless us.

ANSWER: She can but sometimes the Philippine Embassies abroad require banking details etc etc so I usually advise tourists that it's easier to go to Philippine Immigration to apply for a VISA WAIVER which extends their 21 day tourist visa issued upon arrival to 59 days. She can stay as long as she likes from 16 to 24 months by extending every two months. If she needs place to stay near the Manila airports we have a guesthouse with 24 hour check-in and 8 rates from P300 to P950.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thank you for the quick answer,she love to drive, can she drive here using her drivers license in Sweden? or do she need papers to bring to be able to drive cars here in Philippines. Thank you again.

ANSWER: Tourists can drive using their foreign driver's licenses if they are able to be read in English and they must also have passport while driving for 90 days. I think for drivers' license in other languages they have to provide a translation so best go to nearest LTO to ask.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Hello, here i am again and need your help. Actually its not me but my friend from Mindanao who have questions. She has a boyfriend in Sweden and this guy plan to visit her this coming september but suddenly they got problem, a health problem for the guy...he is sick and now they decided that my friend from Mindanao is the one will go to Sweden and they were planning to get married there. The question is what visa do she need to apply? where can she go to ask help what to do? Thank you and God bless and more prosperity.

it's VERY difficult to get a visa to Sweden or any of the wealthier nations in Europe but a fiancee visa is maybe the easiest to process but he MUST come to the Philippines to attend seminar before visa can be issued.  Otherwise you would marry him in the RP and wait 1 to 2+ YEARS to get an immigrant resident visa because of of your marriage status. The USA and UK can take over 2 years for a Filipina wife to be issued a visa, for example. Sometimes the less populated countries like Sweden are faster but they have had some ethnic riot problems in recent months. Good Luck but be PATIENT!


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Bill and Lorna Collings


Feel FREE to ask us about traveling, living, relocating, retiring and investing in the Philippines. Guests from 93 countries, the latest being a female PHD from Uganda, make our place in Manila an incredible meeting place for world travelers who exchange travel stories. We understand both the joys and the hardships of living and traveling in the Philippines.


I arrived in the Philippines in January 1980 to travel for 2 months; I stayed 4 months before reluctantly leaving. I met my Filipina wife, Lorna. an incredible stellar, "one in a million" individual in 1983 in Seoul and we moved to the Philippines in 1986 and opened our 3BR house to world travelers on a budget. After welcoming thousands of guests from 93 nations our place has grown to 38 bedrooms in 5 townhouse units, 4 of which are attached but will never lose its "Home away from Home" atmosphere. Almost everyday at The Townhouse Hotel there's a party-like social scene with vibrant, almost magical energetic conversations between our guests who have the pleasure to meet each other and share their life's many experiences.Often three groups with conversations in different languages are going on at the same time. So we've been exposed to every kind of person from all over the world and shared their experiences. Since arriving back in the Philippines Nov 2011 from traveling for 8 months my wife and I have been busy buying land, building houses and expanding our Boracay beach front resort, Casa Camilla for 16 months. Hopefully we'll be finished by the end of 2013 with a total of 50 apartments, 44 units for yearly stays and the six units in our house to be saved for short term stays.

Publications,, who asked me to apply with

some college 2-1/2 years - no degree - I've been traveling since I was 18, almost 30 years.

Awards and Honors
Luckily, my wife and I have been semi-retired since we were 30 years old, almost 30 years.

Past/Present Clients
3000 to 4000 world travelers and guests on a budget pass through our guest house style Townhouse Hotel / Hostel each year since 1986 so we do get a lot of feedback and share a lot of experiences with people which we can then pass on to help others with their questions and problems

©2017 All rights reserved.