Philippines/real eastate boracay

QUESTION: hello, my wife and I are planning on moving to Boracay in June of 2015. Is buying a condo or property risky due to untitled or land declarations? Being from the U.S., it seems a little scary. Also can I wire transfer money for property directly from the U.S. bank or do I need an account in the P.I. first? Also will need a short term stay, for a few months as we settle on our new home. Thanks.

ANSWER: Michael now in transit Taipei airport will get back to you when we arrive Manila or Boracay later this week. Now in Manila! My wife, Lorna bought her first 1000sqm of beachfront in Diniwid and we togther have bought and sold land in Boracay since 1979, all with only Tax Declaration the main proof of ownership used in the provinces by everyone except the richer elite Filipinos who nobody will ever get a good deal. The 12 or more developed bling bling condos are all on the opposite side of Boracay then the main attraction White Beach and extremely overpriced claiming ridiculous return on investment that will never happen plus a P6000 to P12000 / monthly maintenance fee whether the owners are living there or not. They range from hotel sized at Boracay Regency P5M to P8M for medium size and P12M to P15M for large 2 bedroom units with luxury appliances etc etc swimming pool .

Last year we sold our first 2 bedroom 80 sqm floor area house and lot and have recently finished a 4 floor building with 3 apartments with floor areas between 60sqm to 80sqm on a 168 sqm walled lot for sale P2.8M, P3.4M, P4M. The same size roof top with panoramic view of the sea can be shared by the 3 apartment owners once all 3 have been sold and reach an agreement. We'll be advertising as soon as building tax declaration is transferred in my name sometime in the next 2+ months. Meanwhile we'll be keeping busy at our beachfront resort, Casa Camilla Boracay Apartments. HOPE THAT HELPS YOU!  If a title is a deal breaker then why waste your time?

QUESTION: Thanks for your response, and I am sorry for such a late reply -many personal issues that I have now cleared up. I would be very interested in your new units for sale and a land declaration is not a deal breaker just ignorant of how things work. Some one such as yourself with proper experience, gives me confidence. I am relocating to Boracay in July of 2015, if your new units are available, I could be a buyer with cash. In the meantime I will be contacting you shortly for rental unit. Thank you for your help and your websites are great.

Ok Michael, sounds good at Casa Camilla Boracay Apartments we'll have a yearly Rate 4 unit, P220,000 / year + utilities apartment become available in May/June so keep in touch via email: Last week I bought the initial steel bars to begin making posts, rings and footings for the 4 floor building and plan to start in June 2015 with a completion date before Nov 2015. We may keep the ground floor unit of this 4 floor building but the other 3 units will be for sale from P2.8M to P3.8M ( U$62,000 to U$85,000)each with floor areas of about 70+ sqm ( 770 to 800sqft )

We also plan to build sometime in 2015, ten smaller cheaper units which we'll rent P84,000/ year paid in advance + monthly utilites on a hilltop 5 minutes from Boracay's White Beach and Casa Camilla Boracay.  

Bill and Lorna Collings

Feel FREE to ask us about traveling, living, relocating, retiring and investing in the Philippines. Guests from 93 countries, the latest being a female PHD from Uganda, make our place in Manila an incredible meeting place for world travelers who exchange travel stories. We understand both the joys and the hardships of living and traveling in the Philippines.

I arrived in the Philippines in January 1980 to travel for 2 months; I stayed 4 months before reluctantly leaving. I met my Filipina wife, Lorna. an incredible stellar, "one in a million" individual in 1983 in Seoul and we moved to the Philippines in 1986 and opened our 3BR house to world travelers on a budget. After welcoming thousands of guests from 93 nations our place has grown to 38 bedrooms in 5 townhouse units, 4 of which are attached but will never lose its "Home away from Home" atmosphere. Almost everyday at The Townhouse Hotel there's a party-like social scene with vibrant, almost magical energetic conversations between our guests who have the pleasure to meet each other and share their life's many experiences.Often three groups with conversations in different languages are going on at the same time. So we've been exposed to every kind of person from all over the world and shared their experiences. Since arriving back in the Philippines Nov 2011 from traveling for 8 months my wife and I have been busy buying land, building houses and expanding our Boracay beach front resort, Casa Camilla for 16 months. Hopefully we'll be finished by the end of 2013 with a total of 50 apartments, 44 units for yearly stays and the six units in our house to be saved for short term stays.

Publications,, who asked me to apply with

some college 2-1/2 years - no degree - I've been traveling since I was 18, almost 30 years.

Luckily, my wife and I have been semi-retired since we were 30 years old, almost 30 years.

3000 to 4000 world travelers and guests on a budget pass through our guest house style Townhouse Hotel / Hostel each year since 1986 so we do get a lot of feedback and share a lot of experiences with people which we can then pass on to help others with their questions and problems