Philippines/Want to travel to the Philippines to see if I like it

Question
Dear Mr. & Mrs Collins

I found your  site doing research about the Philippines. I am a 64 year old US citizen currently living in Quito Ecuador. I have been traveling in South America for the last 3 years. In good health.

Questions-

For an American living in the Philippine culture, how prevalent is price gouging? It is quite prevalent here in Ecuador depending on where.

Security- I understand that  this can be a problem for expats- have read of an ISIL  group now active in I believe islands in the far south- Security can also be a problem here in South America as well- I also understand the need to be cautious  wherever one is- in conjunction with this-

The Philippine attitude about Americans living in their culture- is there resentment ?

Finally- I would like to be able to live on somewhere between $800 and $1200 per month. My habits are to eat and drink in home, hobbies are computers, amateur radio, reading, some trekking and cycling- also like mountains doing some non technical climbing. I live a quiet low profile life.

I am reasonably well traveled in Latin cultures, lived in Mexico for 10 years prior to this trip but left there because of the internecine violence surrounding the war on drugs. I understand the absolute need to respect other cultural values when a guest or a non native in other countries.

Please feel free to use this question on your site but please post "Expat" rather than my given name.

Warmest Regards and many thanks for your kindness and interest

Carr McCormack III

Answer
Carr my wife and I are 61 and have lived here in semi-retirement since we were 30+. The Asian factor in the Philippines is much stronger then the Spanish influence so it's less violent especially toward foreigners. Filipinos love Americans and there are 3.4 million Filipino Americans who also help make the bond between the USA and Philippines closer. U$1000/ month is probably what 80% of the American retirees here are able to live well but simple lives. We have friends living in Cancun and various parts of Mexico for many year who we visited last year for my 60th birthday so we got a taste of Latin America driving 9000 km around southern Mexico and Guatemala. We very much feel that the Philippines is more easy going less dangerous and of course cheaper with lower cost of living. As you have lived many years overseas I think you will not have any of the cultural problems many Americans experience. Mabuhay ( To Life!) from Boracay!

Let us know if you plan to visit as we own and operate The Townhouse Hotel / Hostel Manila near all 4 airports with 5 private room rates from U$9 to U$23 and Casa Camilla Boracay Apartments with yearly rentals from U$3000 to U$5000/ year + utilities.  

Philippines

Bill and Lorna Collings