Philippines/Two passports

Hi! Im a filipina living here in philippines. My fiance is an american working in China. I gave birth to our child a month ago. My fiance wanted to  do consular report of birth abroad and apply for our child's US passport. However, we still didnt have our child's NSO birth certificate which is required by Us embassy. Now my fiance is back abroad and is tied to his work for another 6 months. He couldnt file for vacation leave since he used up all his leaves when I delivered our baby. I wanted to visit him in China and bring our child with me. I planned to get my baby a philippine passport but my fiance is afaraid that if i get a philippine passport, it will affect our filing for our child's US passport and consular report of birth abroad. Can you enlighten me with this? Is it safe to get philippine passport first then apply for US passport when my fiance comes back here in the philippines to process our child's documents?

Hi Len it's been a long time sicne we  registered our daughter, Camilla's birth at the US embassy 3 weeks after her birth and she was issued a US passport as an enfant and became a dual citizen when she applied for her Philippine passport in Honolulu when she was 20 years old. Many things may have changed now like when my wife, Lorna was issued a "green card" she could stay away for 12 months and enter the USA only one time a year but it was changed and reduced to only 6 months. Also Americans married to Filipinas who apply for USA visas takes much longer now up to 2+ years. We also have friends and guests who stay at our Townhouse Hotel Manila near all 4 airports and Casa Camilla Boracay Apartments work and live in China like your fiance. So to be safe maybe it's best you wait until your husband can go to USA Embassy in person to register your baby's birth and apply for USA passport. Whatever you do don't try to do anything under the table Philippine style to get the NSO birth certificate because if anyone lies and does anything outside the regulations they can be black listed and never receive USA visa and passport especially since you are NOT married yet.  

Bill and Lorna Collings

Feel FREE to ask us about traveling, living, relocating, retiring and investing in the Philippines. Guests from 93 countries, the latest being a female PHD from Uganda, make our place in Manila an incredible meeting place for world travelers who exchange travel stories. We understand both the joys and the hardships of living and traveling in the Philippines.

I arrived in the Philippines in January 1980 to travel for 2 months; I stayed 4 months before reluctantly leaving. I met my Filipina wife, Lorna. an incredible stellar, "one in a million" individual in 1983 in Seoul and we moved to the Philippines in 1986 and opened our 3BR house to world travelers on a budget. After welcoming thousands of guests from 93 nations our place has grown to 38 bedrooms in 5 townhouse units, 4 of which are attached but will never lose its "Home away from Home" atmosphere. Almost everyday at The Townhouse Hotel there's a party-like social scene with vibrant, almost magical energetic conversations between our guests who have the pleasure to meet each other and share their life's many experiences.Often three groups with conversations in different languages are going on at the same time. So we've been exposed to every kind of person from all over the world and shared their experiences. Since arriving back in the Philippines Nov 2011 from traveling for 8 months my wife and I have been busy buying land, building houses and expanding our Boracay beach front resort, Casa Camilla for 16 months. Hopefully we'll be finished by the end of 2013 with a total of 50 apartments, 44 units for yearly stays and the six units in our house to be saved for short term stays.

Publications,, who asked me to apply with

some college 2-1/2 years - no degree - I've been traveling since I was 18, almost 30 years.

Luckily, my wife and I have been semi-retired since we were 30 years old, almost 30 years.

3000 to 4000 world travelers and guests on a budget pass through our guest house style Townhouse Hotel / Hostel each year since 1986 so we do get a lot of feedback and share a lot of experiences with people which we can then pass on to help others with their questions and problems