Philippines/Long Term Lease to Own

Question
My wife purchased a property that is in pending subdivision with title upon subdivision completion.  The down payment was in excess of 50% with remainder to be payed upon completion. We have made substantial improvements on the property with the venders approval and have plans for additional improvements but would like to protect our investment. The property is surveyed and we have constructed a hollow Block wall on the perimeter. We would like to know if it is possible enter into a long term lease that could be converted into title upon subdivision completion. We would want total control of the property as if we are the title holders. We would be prepared to pay the remaining balance upon roper terms of the lease. The subdivision has been pending for 5 years at this point and progress is always reported as imminent.

Answer
Steve this sounds like a sub-division located on the outskirts of one of the smaller towns or cities in the Philippines therefore pending can obviously be translated to maybe never. We've been here over 30 years and bought our first townhouse unit March 1985 also before completion of all 54 units but nearby is a 20+ floor building which has been there for over 20 years and remains abandoned as we have also seen happen to sub-divisions on the outskirts of CDO, Kalibo, Angeles City, Puerto Princesa and others. If by "property" you mean only the lot without a title then don't stress out too much because 90% of the privately owned land does NOT have titles but Tax Declarations; land titles are held only by the elite, taking forever to be issued and expensive so the bulk of the Philippine population regards Tax Declarations as proof of ownership. The most important document is the Absolute Deed of Sale and the second is the fact that "possession is 90% of the law " regarding ownership.

So check if you can get a Tax Declaration issued if you intend to keep it but only if you,and the sub-division have access to services, water, electricity, cable TV, and internet access. if not then it's fairly worthless so advertise it for sale ASAP and buy land elsewhere and contract to build your own house or hire the construction workers and do it yourselves to save money. Contractors charge P17,000 to P20,000" / sqm of floor area and you can easily build for P10,000 to P12,000 / sqm.

If you bought a house and lot with all the services there fore you're able to live there or ent it out to others then there's really no big deal about the issue  of a title so don't obsess about it. But I assume you have a Conditional Deed of Sale so after you pay it off get the Absolute Deed of Sale signed and process a Tax Declaration issued in your wife's name if she is Filipino; if not then register a Philippine Corporation and get the developer to sign the Absolute Deed of Sale to your corporation. Hope that helps you; just last week we hired a Kalibo lawyer to get 2 parcels of land and one four floor building on Boracay Island a Tax Declaration followed by each apartment in the building an individual Ta Dec. They charge P20,000/ Tax Dec but it's worth  it because the local government department can keep you waiting for years.  

Philippines

Bill and Lorna Collings