Philosophy/logic/freewill

Question
My favorite academic subjects  are mathematics, science , and philosophy. I find these subjects fascinating because its purpose is to tackle the big questions of reality!  every thing we see and don't see exists in space-time. Everything can be observed, detected, measured, understood through thorough analysis.

Logically how can space and its dimension not exist?  In  order to understand what we don't know, we must assume what can only logically be! like in the beginning there was no universe, but a designer would assume the most logical universe. like going from Point A to Point B would require the existence of motion. does space and nothingness have essence?  ( I think space is a something because it can be measured!)

what is space really? in my opinion it isn't empty, it is full of virtual particles. science is about understanding possibilities, and thru that make our lives more enriching and interesting.

change is an interesting topic to me, nothing is static forever, unless nature is that way. so why is life full of change? maybe with out change there are no qualities; no life, no motion. I think Reality is full of potential; anything positive is possible. It is up to us to harness nature in a productive manner.

What is the purpose of freewill? What does it add to the reality of Divine Creator? God is perfect, so how can He be more perfect? is perfection a state or a process leading to perfection?

Answer
You ask a large number of questions, each of which has thousands of implications. Let me do what I can in a short space...

Our common-sense notion of space and time is the (then-revolutionary) Newtonian view of about 400 years ago; it is not built-in. Kant held that time and space were not real in themselves but were "forms of intuition" by which we grasped the (ultimately unknowable) real world around us. Einstein showed (and subsequent experiments have proved) that Einstein is very likely correct: space and time are not absolutes. Cosmology shows that space and time did not exist before the Big Bang. Yes, there are virtual particles, but that flows from the Einsteinian concept of space and time, together with quantum theory. "The universe is not only stranger than we imagine; it's stranger than we CAN imagine."

Some theories of quantum physics do, indeed, require that every possibility must be realized somewhere, sometime. Indeed, the probability concepts in quantum physics overlap to quite and extent with the concepts of possibility in philosophy.

The upshot of all that is this: given our best current scientific understanding, space and time need not have existed at all. They flow from the contingent laws of physics.

Simple-mindedly, the purpose of free will is for us to be free to do whatever we want. Less simple-mindedly, philosophers would argue that if a universe had agents (things that can do things) in it, it must perforce have agents with free will. Christian philosophers hold that we have free will because we are created in the image of God, who has free will.

Perfection is in the eye of the beholder of it. There is a long history of philosophical argument around the idea that a perfect being (God) must necessarily exist. This is generally not taken seriously by contemporary philosophers.

You may find it interesting to take a look at:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/kant-spacetime/

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/newton-stm/

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/spacetime-theories/

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/ontological-arguments/

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/perfectionism-moral/

Charlie

Philosophy

Charles K. MacKay