Philosophy/paradigm, abslute...

Hi dear Charles and Merry Xmas!
I think Marxists are of the opinion that nothing is absolute except "change". Now I would like to know the answer of Marxists to the question: could "change" itself also  change?

Marxists don't think that nothing is absolute except change. For example, neither Marx nor Engels ever said that the laws of nature, or the laws of mathematics, could change.

Marx also thought that society would arrive at a point -- communism -- where MAJOR social change would cease because the main driver of history, class warfare, would be over. Society would continue to evolve in other ways -- literature, art, science, technology, etc.

Since "change" is both a basic and a broad concept, it is highly unlikely that its meaning would change much, but it is a word, not a law, so Marxism does not depend on a fixed definition of "change."

Hope this helps.

Charles K. MacKay

I can answer a number of questions in philosophy; my academic concentrations (graduate school at Cornell) are ethics, political philosophy, and 19th-century German philosophy (Marx, Hegel, and hangers-on.)

BA, New College, 1971, Philosophy and Religion
Awarded four graduate fellowships upon graduation

MA, Cornell University, 1974
Social and Political Philosophy, Danforth Fellowship

All course work and dissertation drafts completed for Ph.D. Cornell University, 1971-1975, Social and Political Philosophy, Danforth Fellowship

Courses in statistics and microeconomics, George Washington University and The American University, 1976-1978

EXPERIENCE: Health Insurance Specialist 2005 - Present
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Service
US Department of Health and Human Services

Allentown Business School Instructor (Computer Science) 2003 - 2005

Northampton Community College
Adjunct Professor of Philosophy 2003 -2005

Lehigh County Community College
Adjunct Professor of Philosophy and Computer Science

Medicare Made Easy (with Charles B. Inlander) Addison-Wesley, 1989

Good Operations, Bad Operations (with Charles B. Inlander) Viking Press, 1993

Health Rebooted: Information Changes Everything (in press), 2008

Bachelor of Arts, Philosphy and Religion, New College, 1971 Master of Arts, Social and Political Philosophy, Cornell University, 1975

Danforth Fellowship, Woodrow Wilson Fellowship