What is the cause of existence?

The Scholastic answer is that Existence is the cause of existence; God, who identifies himself as "I AM who am,".  If there were ever nothing, then there would always be nothing, for nothing can come from nothing.  There must be some non-contingent entity, who is in his very essence existence.  To this entity, men have often ascribed the name of God.

-J.M.J. West

J.M.J. West

I am versed in formal logic and the predicate calculus; Modern Philosophy, Anglo-American Philosophy, Contemporary Philosophy, And Christian/Catholic Philosophy. I can answer questions on - but not limited to - The Pre-Socratics, Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, The Stoics, the Early Church Era, St. Justin Martyr, Augustine, Anselm, Aquinas, Ockham, Moore, Descartes, Leibniz, Spinoza, Locke, Berkeley, Hume, Kant, Nietzsche, Russell, G. E. Moore, Quine, Rorty, Plantinga, etc. I also have experience with Philosophy of Religion, Epistemology and other areas.

I have a BA in Philosophy and History, and am continuing my education in both areas while discerning grad school.

Bachelors Degrees in Philosophy and History, (political science emphasis)

Cum laude, 1st Annual Harold Parker Award for Excellence in History, Benedictine College.