Philosophy/Aristotle

Question
Can any element int he platonic notion of "the good" be preserved in the Aristotelian moral universe?

Answer
I've researched this and I think the best answer is "no." The reason is that Artistotle's ethics is an eudaemonian (aimed at happiness) virtue ethics. One can shoehorn the notion of the Form of the Good in by saying that if happiness is good, it must participate in the Form of the Good, so Aristotlean ethics does aim at the Platonic good, but that's really an artificial stretch.

In addition, Aristotle decisively rejected the general outline of Plato's theory of the Forms. (See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_man_argument.)

Hope this helps.

Charlie

Philosophy

Charles K. MacKay