Can any element int he platonic notion of "the good" be preserved in the Aristotelian moral universe?

I've researched this and I think the best answer is "no." The reason is that Artistotle's ethics is an eudaemonian (aimed at happiness) virtue ethics. One can shoehorn the notion of the Form of the Good in by saying that if happiness is good, it must participate in the Form of the Good, so Aristotlean ethics does aim at the Platonic good, but that's really an artificial stretch.

In addition, Aristotle decisively rejected the general outline of Plato's theory of the Forms. (See:

Hope this helps.

Charles K. MacKay

I can answer a number of questions in philosophy; my academic concentrations (graduate school at Cornell) are ethics, political philosophy, and 19th-century German philosophy (Marx, Hegel, and hangers-on.)

BA, New College, 1971, Philosophy and Religion
Awarded four graduate fellowships upon graduation

MA, Cornell University, 1974
Social and Political Philosophy, Danforth Fellowship

All course work and dissertation drafts completed for Ph.D. Cornell University, 1971-1975, Social and Political Philosophy, Danforth Fellowship

Courses in statistics and microeconomics, George Washington University and The American University, 1976-1978

EXPERIENCE: Health Insurance Specialist 2005 - Present
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Service
US Department of Health and Human Services

Allentown Business School Instructor (Computer Science) 2003 - 2005

Northampton Community College
Adjunct Professor of Philosophy 2003 -2005

Lehigh County Community College
Adjunct Professor of Philosophy and Computer Science

Medicare Made Easy (with Charles B. Inlander) Addison-Wesley, 1989

Good Operations, Bad Operations (with Charles B. Inlander) Viking Press, 1993

Health Rebooted: Information Changes Everything (in press), 2008

Bachelor of Arts, Philosphy and Religion, New College, 1971 Master of Arts, Social and Political Philosophy, Cornell University, 1975

Danforth Fellowship, Woodrow Wilson Fellowship