Philosophy/Mao's quote

Dr Zieba,

Kindly let me know what does Mao mean by saying "It is only when there is class struggle that there can be philosophy"?

Dear Manz,

Mao was nothing more than a Marxist ideologist. This quote is about "class struggle" so it is entirely Marxist. You may try search for a deeper meaning behind it, like dialectics of contradiction, but I think this pseudo-theoretical background to the practical fight for power is but a bullshit. Marxism as a "practical philosophy" is dead, which has been proven by the fact that almost all former Marxist countries have already abandonded this ideology of "class struggle". The theory that lay behind it has proven false. There is no philosophy behind Marxism and "class struggle", if you properly understand the word "philosophy", i.e. "love of wisdom". Love of wisdom means truth and search for truth. Class struggle is nothing more than a fight for power. There are personal interests hidden behind, egoistic wishes. Struggle means killing, bloodshed and causing suffering to milllions of people, there is no love of wisdom in it. No truth about the world or people.

I don't want to pose for an expert in Marxist ideology - I have seen it in action, everything was based on falsehood, on lies, not on truth. I thank God it has vanished in my country like in many others.

Sorry if I have disappointed you.  

Maciej St. Zięba

I can answer questions concerning Eastern (Oriental) philosophies and philosophers (Indian, Tibetan, Indonesian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese: Hinduist, Buddhist, Confucianist, Taoist and other; alas not Islamic or Jewish) - both in terms of notions and facts (history of their development). I can write in English, French, Esperanto, Polish and Russian, German, Dutch and Norwegian. I can also understand questions in Spanish and Italian.

I have been teaching Indian and Chinese philosophies since 1987, during 1999-2009 I co-ordinated a project on Oriental philosophies within the scope of the Universal Encyclopedia of Philosophy (Powszechna Encyklopedia Filozofii) published in Polish by SITA-PL in Lublin (10 volumes, containing ca. 500 entries in Eastern philosophies, written by a team of a dozen of Polish scholars).

Polish Oriental Society; International Association of Buddhist Studies; Klingon Language Institute; Learned Society of the John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin; Polish Philosophical Association; Universala Esperanto-Asocio.

Books: "Origin of the World According to Rigveda" (Montreal 1996); "Our Bug. Creating Conditions for Development of the Border Areas of Poland, Ukraine and Belarus through Enhancement and Preservation of Natural and Cultural Heritage" (Lublin 2008); "Migration - a Challenge to the 21st century" (Lublin 2008); "Migracja zarobkowa do Woch" (Job migration to Italy) (Lublin 2008); more than 100 articles in "Powszechna Encyklopedia Filozofii" (Universal Encyclopedia od Philosophy) vol. 1-10 (Lublin 2000-2009); Contributions to the history of the Buddhist classifications of dharmas: Pancavastuka of Vasumitra (Bulletin, Polish Institute and Library, Montreal 1997); many more in Polish; some of them available online, see: here and here (a list up to 2012

philosophy (KUL, Lublin, 1976-81); M.A. in history of Indian philosophy (KUL, 1981); Ph.D. in history of Indian philosophy (KUL, 1989); other studies: Indian and Chinese philosophies (Institut Catholique, Paris, 1985-6); Tibetan language (INALCO, Paris, 1985-6); Chinese language (McGill University, Montreal, 1995-7).

2012 Golden Medal of Civil Service of Poland; 2012-13 Taiwan Fellowship - Tunghai University (Taichung)

AllExperts users (since 12/03/2003); Wikipedia readers (since 2004); university students (since 1984);