Philosophy/Favorite novel.

Question
Dear Charles

It is difficult to answer but still do you feel Romeo and Juliet is the best novel by Shakespeare?.

Thanks®ards
Prashant s akerkar

Answer
First of all, Romeo and Juliet is a stage play, not a novel.

Second, I know of know set of criteria that lets one pick out the "best" novel from a set in any defensible fashion. In the end, it just depends on how educated your taste is and what you like.

Most of Shakespeare's work contains very good poetry, very good drama, humor, intense emotion, and engaging plots. Among them, I would definitely rank Romeo and Juliet higher than, say, Coriolanus. But that is because i prefer drama with complex "flavors" -- lots of different stuff rather than just undifferentiated violence.

I am sure that any drama critic would agree that, among the Bard's works, Romeo and Juliet ranks in the top half. Beyond that, it's really not possible to day.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

Philosophy

Charles K. MacKay