Philosophy/Philosophy Major

Question
Hello I am currently interested in becoming a Philosophy major as and Undergrad. I am currently applying to several universities and colleges to see which one I will get into. I noticed something though regarding their philosophy curriculum specifically their logic requirement. Some of the schools require formal logic, and some require symbolic logic and one of the schools offers deductive logic as the logic course I should take. Are these three logic courses the same with just different terms or names? Sorry if it's a dumb question.

Answer
First of all, philosophy is a wonderful subject, but I have to strongly discourage you from majoring in it. The only thing you can do with it is teach philosophy, and the number of open slots is very low, and the chance of tenure lower. On the other hand, combining it with computer science is a very powerful combination that will make you employable for life.

That said, on to logic.

The basis of formal logic is in Aristotle -- "All men are mortal; Socrates is a man; Therefore, Socrates is mortal." Aristotle looked at the question why that argument seems compelling and "All men are mortal; Socrates is a man; Therefore, Socrates is a giraffe" don't seem to work. The study of logic on this level is called formal logic. Deductive logic, which studies how conclusions follow from premises, is a part of that.

Symbolic logic is the "mathematization" of formal and deductive logic. It tries to apply the methods of mathematics to logic and has produced some fascinating stuff. (Go to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy online and look up Godel's Theorem. Symbolic logic has a lot of overlap with proof theory in mathematics.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

Philosophy

Charles K. MacKay