Philosophy/reason

Question
You may have been asked this before but a common phrase you hear is "everything happens for a reason." Is that actually true? It seems pretty black and white to me. Wouldn't "most things happen for a reason" make better sense?

Answer
The "principle of sufficient reason" has been around in philosophy for a long time; it's implicit even in the philosophy of the pre-Socratics (those who came before Socrates and Plato; we know their work only from fragments.)

The principle of sufficient reason was clarified by Gottfried Leibniz in the 1700s. His idea was that everything that happened has at least one reason why it happened. So the notion that everything happens for a reason has been embedded in philosophy for a long time and is part of the modern philosophical view. Its alternative is the idea that nothing happens for a reason.

As for "most things happen for a reason", try to think of something that has NO plausible explanation. It's impossible for me to think of none. The only thing we know of that might qualify are quantum leaps in quantum physics, and even there, the events that we do observe happen by the "collapse of the wave function" when we observe them; the cause is our observation of them. And there are physicists who think that the appearance of randomness is an illusion due to our limited ability to measure things.

In sum, if we expand the notion of "reason" to include physical causality, then everything DOES happen for a reason.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

Philosophy

Charles K. MacKay