Philosophy/philosophy

Question
Hi!
When I play music I feel that there is something very existential going on. It's like I say something that people understand in there own way. Music seem to be another way of expressing philosophy (that is often expressed in words). How does a philosopher view this?
But it seems that philosophy is more intellectual rather than personal?

Answer
Just as music history has developed or mirrored along with other historical periods, e.g., ancient, classical, renaissance, neoclassical, romantic, modern, contemporary, so have philosophical ideas.  Hegel, for example, saw this as an organic development of history (in his phenomenology of spirit).  And going back to Plato, in The Republic, music was viewed much more broadly than just instrumental song but encompassed the study of all the arts and sciences (look up who each of the muses were).  Moreover, music was able to have a direct effect on the soul and consequently, one's actions.  So much so, that certain types of music were to be banned in a ideal republic for their negative effects.

Yes, 99% of philosophy deals with matters that are intellectual but there is a strand of music that interweaves with philosophical and even logical work (see Godel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter that deals with the interaction of musical structure with the recursive art of M.C. Escher and Godel's Incompleteness Theorem).

Storch

Philosophy

Steven R. Storch