Philosophy/Why is the figure relevant to validity?

Question
Hello, thank you again for the helpful answer on my last question. I have another question on formal validity. My textbook has a table of valid forms that are separated by figure. Why is figure relevant to validity? Sorry if this is a stupid question. In having trouble understanding why AAA-1 is consider valid but not an AAA-anything else. Thank you again!

Answer
Figure (and Mood) refer to Aristotle's categorical propositions.  It is a complete system but only deals with propositions with the four basic forms: Every S is P; No S is P, Some S is P; and Some S is not P.

Mood and Figure are shortcut concepts that make evaluating Aristotelian proposition very easy.  However, they only apply to a very limited universe of discourse.

Take your time and follow your author's explanation and once you see it, you'll understand.

Storch

Philosophy

Steven R. Storch