Phobias/Social Phobia

I am male 36.
I am on 3 mg/day Risperidone and with no depression or anxiety, but I have a fear to be in any community and scared to go out of home. I think it is social phobia.
I like to be at home watch television, work with computer, watch films on computer and am very happy with this lifestyle.
But because it is not a good thing to be at home I said to my doctor to prescribe me Sertraline and she refused because of it may cause hallucinations.
But I started sertraline by myself 50 mg/day. hope it to cause me go out of home.
My only fear is if it causes suicidal thoughts and some depression.
Is it that bad taking this drug? and does its benefits more than its side effects?
Thank you.

Hi Maziar,

I believe you should try to treat this condition without resort to drugs and by nutritional means. I would like to to discuss the following article with your doctor to nutritional doctor and then get off the medication very gradually when you start to to feel better. Read the following articles:

Beating Anxiety and Phobias

Hypoglycemic Diet

You can also study our self-help psychotherapy course which is explained at:

Self-Help Psychotherapy Course

Jurriaan Plesman BA (Psych) Post Grad Dip Clin Nutrition
Editor of the Hypoglycemic Association of Australia
Also at Facebook:  

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist.

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapy

Editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia:

Web site:

Author of the book:
"Getting off the Hook", which is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. My articles can be found at:

BA (Psych) University of Sydney, Post Grad Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)