Phobias/what is my problem?

Alright so for about 1 year now I haven't been able to eat anywhere but my house. It seems when I try to eat at school or at a restaurant I can't eat. When I put a piece of food or try to take a little sip of my drink I will throw up. This started happening about halfway through 7th grade. Now i am in 8th grade and it is really starting to effect me. I can't go out to eat with my family or eat at school. Which means I don't eat for 7 hours. And I'm going To high school next year I need to gain weight. Please help I am a 14 year old male and athletic. Please help. Also I have this little bump next to my throat that seems abnormal. I am about 5'11 and I am growing very fast I don't know if that is why I can't eat or whatever it is. I can eat at home fine but out it is a different story. I can't even the body of Christ at church I just have to let it dissolve in my mouth from throwing up. I don't know if I would actually throw up but let me tell you something it feels like I am about to throw up. Please help me I want to be a le to eat out with my family again. PLEASE!!!!! It's preventing me from doing a lot of stuff.

Hello Jake,

I certainly would have that lump near your throat investigated by a doctor. I wonder whether this has anything to do with your thyroid gland. Hyperthyroidism can cause you to have all sorts of emotional reactions. Apart from that you apparently irrational fears of eating out may be due to over-production of stress hormones.  A very frequent illness hat may be responsible of over-production of stress hormones could be hypoglycemia (

This can be treated by going on a hypoglycemic diet (

Please also read:

Beating Anxiety and Phobias

And discuss with your doctor or therapist.

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist.
Emeritus Editor of
The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia.
Author of "Getting off the Hook"
Freely available at Google Book Search
Skype: jurplesman
Also at Facebook for more questions:  

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapy

Editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia:

Web site:

Author of the book:
"Getting off the Hook", which is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. My articles can be found at:

BA (Psych) University of Sydney, Post Grad Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)