Phobias/Cancer & depression phobia

I am 47 and had been battling the health anxiety since 20 years. I have hypertension,hyperlipidemia & mitral valve prolapse with trivial regurgitation (which causes anxiety & palpitation). All these years my focus was mainly on heart, but since one month i has become very cancer phobic, as i remember one of aunt who died of cancer before 15 years..

I asked whether anxiety can cause cancer, so one allexperts counselor replied me that, anxiety & depression does not cause cancer, but cancer can cause depression. I don't know under what context she said that, which made my life like a living hell.

I know that, anxiety & depression does not cause cancer.

But Now i am fearing & obsessing that, depression is the symptoms of cancer.

What i know is that, upon being diagnosed with cancer, the patients become depressed, anxious & sad.

I have seen the people having depression for 30+ years & living with it & they don't have cancer.

Half of the world has depression, if depression would be the symptom & then half of the world would have cancer.

If somebody is depressed, when he will go to psychiatrist for treatment, will the psychiatrist will tell him to go & test for cancer.

This obsession had made me more fearful & i am having full blown continous panic attacks since 2 weeks. The anxiety is 10 out of 10 since i read that answer. I unable to function & get up from
the bed. I am not going to work since one week & unable to sleep since one week only obsessing that, cancer causes depression & it is becoming vicious cylce.

All these years i know that, panic & anxiety symptoms are harmless & i never bothered about these symptoms,only afraid for the first few years when i was not aware.

Due to continue ongoing challenges of health anxiety & mitral valve prolapse i have anxiety & palpitation. Now, every time when i feel anxious or depressed, i am thinking it is due to

Please help me. I will be grateful to you. Give me some cognitive tips to challenge this negative thoughts. It is killing me. My body is full of adrenaline & burning. Hyper alert 24 hours.

With the help of even a small stick in between the sea will be enough for me to come out this fear trap.

Afzal, There is no known  link between having depression and getting cancer that I am aware of, but I am not a doctor. However, ongoing anxiety and/or depression causes chemical changes in your body which can affect your immune system and possibly be a precursor to other ailments due to the imbalances in your body chemistry.

Most phobias/fears/anxiety are over-reaction responses to unhealed trauma in a patient's life. Sometimes these traumas happen in your young formative years and are consciously forgotten, but remain lodged in your subconscious mind, which continues to try to resolve the issues in a continuous feedback loop.

My experience, using energy medicine techniques like EFT (emotional freedom technique) for the past 30 years is that when you return to a naturally peaceful emotional state many health concerns simply go away. Your mind-body is self-healing and can overcome many challenges when it is in a fully effective state. Resolving old traumas will help alleviate the sense of anxiety and dread, like you are experiencing now.

There are many sites which offer information on this technique and many practitioners of EFT world-wide. EFT sessions can be coached/guided over the phone in most cases, as well.

Find out more at:

This "tapping" technique is very fast and effective when done with precision. It is a self-help technique, so you can use it at any time in the future when upsetting issues arise.

Best wishes,

William Silver  

William Silver

We can answer most inquiries about common phobias and direct those interested parties to some appropriate resources, if I am unable to assist directly.

12 years using the TFT and EFT-based therapy practices. Certified in Hypotherapy and have other training in emotionally-based stress and trauma release techniques

Completion Anxiety-Phobia Release Therapy, KALOS, Cranio-Sacral Therapy, Visceral Manipulation therapy programs, from 1988 to the present.

See also sexual trauma and molestation healing assistance in AllExperts.