Phobias/paranoia? anxiety?

I've been bothered by what I take to be extreme paranoia. In the past I've had strong fears that I was stricken with some deadly disease to the point where I then feared "what if I actually got diagnosed with it", even though I kept telling myself I would remember that. And then one day something reminded me of my fear and in my head I said "the day I got diagnosed". That thought took me by surprise and I said "where did that come from??" This has happened other times with other fears I've had, where I seem to involuntarily think/say things in my head that seem to give the impression that my fear is true or happened. Have you ever heard of this before? Does this happen to people?

Thank you in advance

Hello Mike,

Unreasonable paranoia and anxiety is usually due to excess production of stress hormones such as adrenaline and cortisol.  They usually come under the heading of anxiety attacks and hypochondria.

You may be interested to read;
Beating Anxiety and Phobias

Hypochondria and Hypoglycemia

Discuss with you doctor if you so wish.

Jurriaan Plesman BA (Psych) Post Grad Dip Clin Nutrition
Editor of the Hypoglycemic Association of Australia
Author of "Getting off the Hook"  
Also at Facebook:

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist.

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapy

Editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia:

Web site:

Author of the book:
"Getting off the Hook", which is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. My articles can be found at:

BA (Psych) University of Sydney, Post Grad Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)