Photography/Cloudy photo due to condensation on lens

Question
I have a photo that was taken a minute after leaving an air-conditioned environment and stepping outside into Florida humidity, so the condensation that instantly developed on the lens appear as cloudy on the photo.  Is there software or a service that could alter/edit the photo to take away the cloudiness?

Answer
Hi John,

An interesting question! I did a little Google searching and failed to find any Photoshop "actions" that would help. It actually seems that photographers are more interested in adding this "artistic softening" to their images than removing it!

But I did find one forum discussion of a simple Photoshop procedure that might help:

http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php/t-2235125.html

If you're familiar with Photoshop's Levels, Brightness, Contrast, and Sharpening controls, the basic idea is to use them to reverse the increased whiteness, decreased contrast, and slight blurring that mist or fogging produce. The original poster included a URL to one of his fogged photos and one of the responders similarly included a URL to his processed result. It looked much better.

To avoid having the same thing happen to me, when I venture outside, I leave the lens cap on until the entire camera has come up (or down) to the ambient temperature. The cap slows the rate at which the lens temp equalizes, and reduces the temperature shock. It takes a few minutes, but the lens doesn't fog.

I hope the technique described in the above forum thread works for you. I'm going to play around with this myself... so thanks for the question!

Sincerely,

Dave

Photography

Dave Powell