Photography/German Knox Folding Plate Camera

Question
KNOX
KNOX  
I have found a 4 x 5 folding bellows/wood box camera with a simple scissor shutter on the outside of the lens board - there is a ivory label that says 'KNOX' - I don't know if that is the maker or model name - it has a ground glass on the back - appreciate any help in identifying the maker, year and value -  thanks in advance for your expertise - Andy

Answer

Hello Andy,

The Knox is a simple self-casing folding bellows camera, made by Emil Wunsche of Germany around 1905, for 9 x 13 cm exposures on glass plates.  It's a fairly uncommon model, especially in the United States (it was never imported here), and complete intact original examples like yours can sell for upwards of $300 in today's collectible camera market.

Best wishes,

David F. Silver - President
International Photographic Historical Organization  

Photography

David Silver