Photography/Storing very old photographs

I have several old family photographs from the early 1900's and even some tin prints.  I also have some artists pictures from the late 1800's.  I have limited funds and would like to know if there is and inexpensive way to store them.  My father just had them in a box but they are in really good condition.  I want to protect them from moisture as some of them do have slight water damage.  I was told it was safe to store them in zip lock plastic food storage and sandwich bags, is this true?  If not could you please tell me another method that is inexpensive.

Thank You

Find a cool, dry place and find something that is acid free to put the photos between. You can buy acid free paper but it is more expensive than regular large pieces of paper. And you need acid free storage containers. I assume that you could use plastic boxes for this but I cannot be sure. I suggest you talk to a librarian as they need to store books in a similar way that you need to store photos. Hopefully they have some ideas for you.
I wish you luck.

Barry Benjamin

I can answer basic questions about using any camera, but I am very familiar with most of the Nikon FILM cameras up to the FP 5. I have some background in advertising and marketing so I know something about placement of the object or person that would be the main focus of the photo. I did quite a bit of in home family portrature when I had my own studio in the '80s and '90s. I also did some product and commercial photography. I took most of the marketing photos for my families hotels in The Bahamas over the last 20 years so I have some experience about what 'sells' in the travel/hospitality industry.

Started photography in 1967, also worked as a newspaper printer in Molina, Oregon in 1975, I owned my own studio from 1982 to 1996 and sold my travel images as stock since then.

Commercial Photographers International

Isles of Eden, author Harvel Lloyd, published by Benjamin Publishing 1992

Padgett Thompson, Basics of Design Using Desktop Publishing, 1994 Rochester Institute of Technology, Printing for People who aren't Printers, 1993 Creative Photographic Seminars, Achieving the Optimum Results in 35mm B/W photography by Harvey Glick, 1978 Seminars with Harvey Lloyd in 1980 and 1981 Seminars with Lucien Clergue in 1982 and 1983

Many families around Cleveland and Akron, Ohio; MEDI, Henderson Photography